Racist Burger King ad crushed me, says Mary J Blige
London: Mary J Blige today has revealed that she regrets making a Burger King ad that was labelled racist. When the Burger King chain offered the R ‘n’ B star a spot to sing in one of their commercials for a new chicken wrap, the soul singer was initially happy to have the lucrative gig.
“It was sold to us that I would be shot in an iconic way,” a leading daily has quoted her as telling Hot 97’s Angie Martinez during a radio interview.
“I did it because I thought it was something that wouldn’t come out like that,” she said.
The ‘Be Without You’ singer remained silent while critics slammed her for taking part in a short film that many deemed racist.
“I would never just bust out singing about chicken and chicken wings,” she said.
The black woman-oriented website Madame Noire labelled the ad “buffoonery,” saying it depicted blacks in a stereotypical way. The Grammy winner said that the whole debacle “hurt my feelings. It crushed me for like two days.”
Burger King did not admit to pulling the ad because of the criticism. The fast food giant said it did so because of music licensing issues. Nonetheless, the company has since apologized to the singer. Blige also wanted to apologise if it appeared she knew in advance how the commercial would turn out.
“I want to apologize to everyone who was offended who thought I would do something that was so disrespectful to our culture.
“I would never do anything like that. I thought I was doing something right,” she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shopping for children? Here are some essential dos and don'ts
- Box Office report: Sushant Singh Rajput's 'MS Dhoni: The Untold Story' becomes second highest grosser of 2016
- Karan Johar's 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' to release on time, Producers Guild not to work with Pakistani artistes in future
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray, Karan Johar meet Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis
- Pakistani artistes controversy: Here's what Farhan Akhtar has to say
- Kumkum Bhagya - Episode 694: Abhi saves Pragya yet again from getting killed
- Prince Narula talks about Badho Bahu co-star Rytasha Rathore, film offers and more
- Puja Banerjee, Kunal Verma call it quits – Here’s why
- Antara Biswas aka Monalisa wants Salman's attention with 'Bigg Boss' stint
- Rajat Tokas's voice modulation skills for 'Chandra-Nandni'