Anoushka Shankar to feature in UN `One Women` song
Washington: Sitar player Anoushka Shankar, daughter of legendary Pandit Ravi Shankar, is among the 25 artists from 20 countries, to feature in ‘One Woman’ song of the United Nations to celebrate women worldwide.
A musical celebration of women worldwide, the song is to be released tomorrow on the occasion of the International Women`s Day. The song calls for change and celebrates acts of courage and determination by ordinary women, who daily make extraordinary contributions to their countries and communities.
Initially performed during the launch event for UN Women in the UN General Assembly Hall in 2011, ‘One Woman’ aims to become a rallying cry that inspires listeners about the mission of UN Women and engages them to join in the drive for women`s empowerment and gender equality, the world body said.
"One Woman gives us a message of hope and inspiration," said UN Women Executive Director Michelle Bachelet.
"This song carries a message of unity and solidarity with women worldwide and reminds us that equality, human rights and human dignity are the birthright of all of us, every human being. I thank everyone who made this song possible."
Besides Anoushka, other singers to feature in the song are Ana Bacalhau from Portugal, Angelique Kidjo (Benin), Bassekou Kouyate (Mali), Bebel Gilberto (Brazil), Beth Blatt (US), Brian Finnegan (Ireland), Buika (Spain), Charice (Philippines), Cherine Amr (Egypt), Debi Nova (Costa Rica), Emeline Michel (Haiti), Fahan Hassan (Britain), Idan Raichel (Israel), Jane Zhang (China), Jim Diamond (Britain), Keith Murrell ( Britain), Lance Ellington (Britain), Marta Gomez (Colombia), Maria Friedman (Britain), Meklit Hadero (Ethiopia), Rokia Traore (Mali), Vanessa Quai (Vanuatu), Ximena Sarinana (Mexico) and Yuna from Malaysia.
The music of the song is being composed by Graham Lyle, behind Tina Turner`s "What`s Love Got To Do With It", British/Somali singer-songwriter Fahan Hassan and the lyrics are given by Beth Blatt.
Microsoft, as UN Women`s corporate partner for "One Woman", has sponsored the song and music video production. The song will be available for purchase on the song website and all common channels like iTunes and Amazon for USD 0.99.
All proceeds will go directly to UN Women in support of its programmes to empower women on the ground.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parineeti Chopra wants 'spa-like' personal spaces at her abode
- OMG! Zarina Wahab leaves house post Aditya Pancholi's name crops up in Kangana-Hrithik saga?
- Planning to buy stylish shades? Here's your guide to buying perfect sunglasses
- 'DDLJ' is Bollywood's most evergreen love story: Survey
- Sussanne Khan clarifies on patching-up with Hrithik Roshan—Details inside!
- Kesha legal battle: Singer releases her single post clash!
- Watch: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's Punjabi swag in 'Tung Luk' from 'Sarbjit' will win your heart
- Ghulam Ali, Pt Jasraj perform on Sankat Mochan Sangeet Samaroh
- Armaan Malik honoured with Dadasaheb Phalke award!
- 'Me and Mrs Jones' singer Billy Paul no more