Formal training in music vital: Shilpa Rao
New Delhi: Singer Shilpa Rao advises that musically inclined youth must resort to formal training to gain a foothold in the music industry.
The 29-year-old, who hails from Jamshedpur in Jharkhand, took professional training under Indian classical musician Ustad Ghulam Mustafa Khan and later went on to sing soulful compositions like `Tosey Naina Lagey`, `Saiyaan Re`, `Ek Lau` and `Manmarziya`.
"I think the youth of today firstly need to learn music. That is something very important. Learning music and having knowledge of what you are doing is very important," Rao told IANS.
She believes the current lot of youngsters have an advantage with the myriad platforms available to them to showcase their talent.
"One great advantage in this day and age is that there are so many avenues that are open for any musician nowadays.
"There is internet, radio, television and live performances. I think there are so many avenues that any person who wants to be a musician today can go out there (and showcase their talent). Becoming a musician is not that much of difficult decision to make," she added.
Rao, who even has a band called Nine, recently turned mentor for a pop band called Rang.
This initiative was part of a campaign called Ray-Ban-Never Hide Sounds, an annual property of eyewear brand Ray-Ban. The campaign aims to find young music talent across the country.
Mentoring the six-piece group gave Rao the chance to learn a few things herself.
"Anything new that you do always gives you butterflies, but with every new experience you keep learning. With every new project you keep exploring yourself and growing.
"Even with this new band I have learned so much," she added.
Pic Courtesy: www.planetradiocity.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ‘Kumkum Bhagya’ March 28 Update: Purab, Pragya get hold of a crucial evidence against Tanu
- Pratyusha Banerjee’s boyfriend Rahul Raj Singh slams Kamya Punjabi, calls short film on late actress ‘bogus’
- Kapil Sharma least affected by Sunil Grover’s exit?
- I console myself with a career that lasts: Twinkle Khanna
- Priyanka Chopra proud of sister Parineeti's singing debut
- Parineeti Chopra makes spectacular singing debut with 'Maana Ke Hum Yaar Nahin' from 'Meri Pyaari Bindu'! - Watch
- ‘Baahubali 2’ songs out! Check out the Jukebox here
- Vidya Balan's 'Begum Jaan': 'Prem Mein Tohre' by Asha Bhosle highlights Anu Malik's musical brilliance
- Ranveer Singh and Rajkummar Rao jamming the 'Trapped' rap is a bonus for fans!
- Sonakshi Sinha in 'Gulabi 2.0' song from 'Noor' will pep up your boring day!