Singer Asha Bhosle felicitated
London: Renowned playback singer Asha Bhosle was felicitated in the House of Commons here for her outstanding achievements in music.
NRI Labour MP Keith Vaz, who organised the felicitation dinner, described the 77-year-old Padma Vibhushan as an "icon" who has made India proud.
"I am deeply touched by the honour bestowed on me. I never thought I would be felicitated in the British Parliament. It is a great privilege," said Bhosle, who performed to a houseful audience at the Royal Festival Hall, Symphony Hall in Birmingham and Leicester`s De Montfort Hall during her current tour.
She also lauded the efforts of Vaz in promoting Indian artists in the UK, saying, "I am very proud of you. Like you, my roots are also in Goa."
Dr Rami Ranger, a NRI entrepreneur described the felicitation as "historic". "Your presence here is like a dream come true. We are all very proud of you," he told the veteran singer.
Bhosle, whose career as a Bollywood singer started in 1943 and spans a staggering six decades, has contributed to the soundtracks of over 1000 Bollywood films.
Her repertoire includes Qawwali, film music, classical Indian, pop and folk. In September 2009 the World Records Academy recognized her as the "Most Recorded Artist" in the world.
She was also awarded the prestigious Dadasaheb Phalke Award.
She has sung in multiple languages, including Hindi, Assamese, Urdu, Telugu, Marathi, Bengali, Gujarati, Punjabi, Tamil, English, Russian, Czech, Nepali, Malay and Malayalam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan thanks Aamir, Shah Rukh for 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' poster release
- 'Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya blaze'
- HC seeks ways to restrain songs promoting drugs and alcohol
- I don't consider myself a star: Priyanka Chopra
- Chrissy Teigen wants to adopt children
- Jason Statham likes to 'get drunk'
- Nicole Scherzinger adjusting to singledom
- 'San Andreas' built to entertain, not traumatise: Director
- Azealia Banks to star in 'Coco'
- Look cool in denim during summer
- 'Amy' to premiere at Edinburgh Film Festival
- Bollywood marks its presence on fourth day at WIFW
- Zubair Kirmani’s collection was simple and beautiful
- Payal Jain celebrates elements of nature
- Ritu Kumar presents time traveller’s diary at WIFW 2011
- JLo`s style, chutzpah inspires designer Charu Parashar
- Joy Mitra brings `Malgudi Days`, Sharmila Tagore to ramp
- It`s time India sets the trends: Neeru Kumar
- Varun Bahl presents edgy, unconventional line at WIFW
- A tale of braids, diagrams, clocks at Kallol Dutta`s show
- Geisha Designs pay tribute to fashion!
- Will Lifestyle Fashion Week Day 1: Music adds more flavour!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi