M.I.A to perform at Kochi art show
Kochi: M.I.A., Britain`s popular singer and painter of Sri Lankan descent, will perform at a concert as well as showcase her artwork at international art show Kochi-Muziris Biennale in this Kerala city next month.
"I want to take art out of galleries and make it accessible to the people, especially children," said 37-year-old Mathangi `Maya` Arulpragasam, who uses the name M.I.A (Missing In Action).
The three-month Kochi Biennale will see 88 artists from around 35 countries, including 40 from India, exhibiting artworks created with mediums such as films, paintings, sculptures, new media and performance art.
M.I.A, who was nominated for a Grammy Award, will perform on the inaugural day of the show Dec 12. It will be her first stage show in India.
"Getting nominated for Grammy was fulfillment of the American Dream. The Indian Dream is to bring into focus the concerns for ecology and environment as well as inclusive development," M.I.A told reporters here Wednesday.
"Like music, I would like to bridge the gap between the east and west through art forms," said M.I.A., whom Time magazine named as one of "the world`s 100 most influential people".
M.I.A, whose songs combine elements of electronic, dance, alternative, hip hop and world music, will release a new single in December.
Her recent single ‘Bad Girls’ has garnered millions of hits on YouTube.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- You cannot take your eyes off 'sloth struck' Ranveer Singh lazing around!- See it to believe it
- Dance songs should not be called item numbers: Aditi Rao Hydari
- Arbaaz Khan speaks about his character in 'Tera Intezaar'- READ
- Kangana Ranaut looking forward to next project- Know all about it!
- Do's & Donts while worshipping a Shivling—A must read!
- Official Prince tribute concert set for October in Minnesota
- Tabla maestro Pt Lacchu Maharaj dies in Varanasi
- Beyonce to perform at MTV Video Music Awards 2016?
- Watch: Tiger Shroff - Jacqueline Fernandez’s fairytale romance in visually captivating song ‘Toota Jo Kabhi Tara’ from ‘A Flying Jatt’
- Taylor Swift snubbed at MTV Video Music Awards nominations!