Melbourne: The hit ‘Party Rock Anthem’ by US act LMFAO featuring Lauren Bennett and GoonRock has beaten best-sellers by Adele and Maroon 5 to top iTunes’ year-end download chart.
Adele’s album ‘21’ was the most downloaded of the year after it was named the biggest selling album of the century earlier this week, while her debut album 19 also saw a huge resurgence, becoming the eleventh biggest seller of the year, almost three years after its release.
Rihanna’s ``Loud`` was runner-up while Bruno Mars’s’ Doo-Wops’ and ‘Hooligans’ came third.
However, on the singles front, Adele’s ‘Someone Like You’ was the second most downloaded track, and another of her songs ‘Rolling In The Deep’ figured at number seven.
The star, who had recently undergone an operation to save her voice and is currently recuperating, was nominated for six Grammys just days ago.
Maroon 5’s ‘Moves Like Jagger’ was in third position in the iTunes singles chart for the year, with Jessie J at number four with ‘Price Tag’.
Adele was also named as the ‘artist of the year’ by iTunes editorial team.
“I’m thrilled to top the iTunes album chart of 2011 and to be iTunes Artist of the Year is just amazing,” the Age quoted her as saying.
Ed Sheeran has been named as the new artist of the year.
Biggest selling iTunes singles
1. LMFAO - Party Rock Anthem (feat Lauren Bennett & GoonRock)
2. Adele - Someone Like You
3. Maroon 5 - Moves Like Jagger
4. Jessie J - Price Tag (feat. B.o.B.)
5. Pitbull - Give Me Everything (feat. Ne-Yo)
6. Bruno Mars - Grenade
7. Adele - Rolling In The Deep
8. Jennifer Lopez - On The Floor
9. Drake - What’s My Name?
10. Rihanna - We Found Love (feat. Calvin Harris)
Biggest selling albums
1. Adele - 21
2. Rihanna - Loud
3. Bruno Mars - Doo-Wops & Hooligans
4. Ed Sheeran - + (Deluxe Version)
5. Chase & Status - No More Idols
6. Jessie J - Who You Are (Platinum Edition)
7. Lady GaGa - Born This Way
8. Tinie Tempah - Disc-Overy
9. Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto
10. Various Artists - Now That’s What I Call Music!