`Dakota Picture` review: Not an extraordinary remake!
‘Dakota Picture’ is a remake of Bollywood`s 2006 hit film ‘Malaamal Weekly’, directed by Priyadarshan. Though the people connected to the film claimed that the film is a laugh riot, in reality it is just a remake made in a hurry.
Barring a few sequences, the film does not offer any opportunity to tickle the audience`s funny bone. Even ‘Malaamal Weekly’ had a weak script, but the perfect choice of artists as well as their timing did the trick. Even though ‘Malamaal Weekly’ was not as good as Priyadarshan`s other films ‘Hera Pheri’, ‘Hungama’ and ‘Hulchul’, it had struck a chord.
Rather than correcting the mistakes in the original script, Om Prakash Rao, who has also acted in the movie, just follows the original script. And he clearly falters in the presentation. His trademark dialogue delivery misses the track in this film. The title of the film is itself a bad choice. It seems both, producer Rockline Venkatesh and director Om Prakash Rao might have been inspired by the success of ‘Dakota Express’ in which both of them played lead roles. The film was made under the banner of Rockline Productions, which has now produced ‘Dakota Picture’.
Other than this factor, there was no reason as to why such a title was chosen. Despite selecting talented artists like Mukyamanthri Chandru and Doddanna to reprise the parts essayed by Paresh Rawal and Om Puri in the original Hindi film, director Om Prakash Rao has failed to get proper artists for the other important characters in the film.
The narrative is about Lachchayya, a lottery agent knowing that a ticket sold by him has won a prize of Rs.1 crore. After eliminating some regular buyers, he zeroes in on Anthony, whom he thinks is in possession of the winning lottery ticket. But when he goes to secure the lottery ticket, he finds a dead Anthony, with the lottery ticket in his hand. Meanwhile, when he is making efforts to get the lottery ticket, a milk vendor Mallanna notices it and feels that Lachchayya might have killed Anthony.
Lachchayya then strikes a deal with Mallanna to be silent over the issue for sharing the booty that comes from the lottery ticket. Then the film ends with a message that money brings in more worries and kills the peace of mind of the people, who run after it. Finally, the film ends on a happier note with the wedding of two characters - Krishna and Radha, who were involved in the whole drama.
Veterans Mukyamanthri Chandru and Doddanna have delivered their best performance in the film. Rockline Venkatesh puts in good efforts, but the film`s heroine Nikisha is still to learn a lot. Shashi Kumar, Raju Thalikote and Mandip Rai shine in their respective roles.
In the technical departments, Jagadish Wali has done a great work behind the camera, while Hamsalekha`s background musical score is good.
‘Dakota Picture’ has nothing unusual to offer, but can be watched once for the efforts of veterans like Doddanna and Mukyamanthri Chandru.
Rating: 2 cheers!
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Entourage' soundtrack out in June
- Rob Kardashian checks into rehab
- Check out: How cute AbRam looks in Shah Rukh's shoes
- My character adds suspense to 'ABCD 2': Raghav Juyal
- Remo is a better director than choreographer: Prabhudheva
- Getting perfect pitch possible for some adult musicians
- Michael Jackson's former home for sale
- Lindsay Lohan's probation finally ends
- TV news may lead to racial bias
- Kylie Jenner planning to leave reality TV
- How to look good without eye makeup
- 'Jigarthanda' director obtains stay on Hindi remake
- Jyotika and I may act together next year: Suriya
- 'Indian' sequel on the cards: A.M. Rathnam
- Naren turns baddie for 'Aranmanai 2'
- Taapsee Pannu to don khaki in Selvaraghavan's 'Kaan'
- 'Baahubali' trailer to launch in Dolby Atmos sound
- Miss India UAE Nivetha debuts in 'Oru Naal Koothu'
- 'Gour Hari Dastaan' to release on August 14
- Don't have time for Bollywood: Venkat Prabhu
- Anjali is Balakrishna's heroine in 'Dictator'
- 'Legend' success cemented my career in Telugu filmdom: Sonal Chauhan
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in