Comparisons could be harmful for remakes: Kannan
Chennai: If films are watched for entertainment, it is important to enjoy them as they are, even if it`s a remake, says Tamil director R. Kannan, known for remaking Hindi films ‘Jab We Met’ and ‘Delhi Belly’ in Tamil.
"I don`t understand why two films should be compared even if one is a remake of the other. By comparing, we are only restricting ourselves from enjoying a film. In simple words, we are literally killing entertainment," Kannan said.
"Most remakes are made keeping in mind so many factors, but people very easily discard it by comparing it with the original. Even though I know it`s extremely difficult not to expect people from comparing remakes, I feel it should be stopped," he added.
Kannan feels his forthcoming Tamil comedy ‘Settai’, remake of adult-comedy ‘Delhi Belly’, is very likely to be compared as well.
"Ever since the film has been announced, there have been several questions raised in comparison with `Delhi Belly`. One of the most common questions was that how the film could be remade in Tamil without any cuss words and adult one-liners," he said.
"You can see that even before we started filming, such questions were raised. Such is the plight of a filmmaker working on a remake and this is very unlikely to change," said Kannan.
Kannan faced similar situation while remaking ‘Jab We Met’, titled ‘Kanden Kadhalai’ in Tamil.
"Bharath who played the lead in the remake had starred in back-to-back action films at that time. The consensus feedback was how I could cast someone who was busy shaping up as an action hero to play a lover boy," he added.
He hopes ‘Settai’, releasing Friday, doesn`t get compared with the original.
"It`s not a frame-to-frame copy of the original. I have developed the story based on the friendship between the three friends. I hope people won`t compare it with `Delhi Belly`," said Kannan.
Produced by UTV, ‘Settai’ features Arya, Premgi Amaren, Santhanam, Hansika Motwani, Anjali and Nassar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan’s top 10 films over the years
- See: Sridevi’s daughter Khushi kisses Jack Gilinsky; 3 month old pic goes viral
- Pakistan expresses its ‘Jazbaa’ for Aishwarya Rai Bachchan
- Salman Khan, Shah Rukh Khan are not stars but co-stars for Nawazuddin Siddiqui
- Know what Amitabh Bachchan is saying about tiger conservation
- Kannada actor Shivarajkumar suffers minor heart attack, admitted to hospital
- Rajinikanth lauds makers of 'Puli'
- 'Baahubali' director SS Rajamouli's ropes in Mohanlal for Rs 1,000 cr project 'Garuda'?
- What made Anushka Shetty do ‘Rudhramadevi’?
- Satyajit Ray's 'Apu Trilogy' in top five greatest Asian films