Few cinematographers truly understand cinema: Balu Mahendra
Chennai: Veteran Tamil cinematographer-turned-director Balu Mahendra feels that although the southern film industry has plenty of cinematographers, very few understand cinema fully.
"Cinematography is not about capturing moving images. It is about teleporting the audience to a world the director intends to take them. This is only possible if one can understand cinema to the fullest and sadly we have very few cinematographers with that ability," Mahendra said.
Who do you consider the best cinematographer?
"Cinematographers such as Chezhiyan and Santosh Sivan are some of the best in the business. Their work is eternal and inspiring," he said.
Mahendra, 73, who started his career as a cinematographer, later turned to direction and made films such as ‘Sadma’, ‘Sathi Leelavathi’ and ‘Aur Ek Prem Kahani’.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and Katrina Kaif in one frame is a sight to behold!
- Cheap Fast Food places to visit in Mumbai
- Anushka Sharma looks dazzling on latest GQ cover!
- Aamir Khan has something to say about ‘Dangal’ title track – Watch
- Raees-Kaabil clash: Shah Rukh Khan, Hrithik Roshan set for big battle, Rakesh Roshan fumes over release date!
- Cho Ramaswamy passes away: Tamil film personalities may homage
- Cho Ramaswamy was a multi-dimensional film personality
- Sridevi posts an old classic pic with Jayalalithaa on Twitter
- Jayalalithaa death: Telugu stars mourn Amma's loss!
- Kaabil: Hrithik Roshan flaunts new release date in Tamil, Telugu posters