First Filmfare Awards for east India
Kolkata: Almost 60 years after the Filmfare Awards were first introduced, the coveted honour makes its east India debut this March, the organisers said Saturday.
The first `Vivel Filmfare Awards 2013` March 29 here will provide a national platform to recognise Bengali, Assamese and Oriya films.
"I am happy that such a national honour is coming to east India. Films from the region will be in the spotlight," Bengali superstar Prosenjit Chatterjee said while unveiling the trophy here.
"There has been a resurgence in Bengali cinema in the last seven to eight years and the time is right for the initiative," Tarun Rai, CEO, Worldwide Media, publishers of Filmfare Magazine, said.
The iconic Black Lady will be given to winners in a 21 categories for Bengali films and four each for the Oriya and Assamese film industries.
"We didn`t have such platforms in the region when we started. I am glad that now the emerging artists from these states will get national exposure through this," said the 51-year-old actor, who preferred to acknowledge Bengali films as part of Indian cinema.
The glitzy award ceremony will held at the Science City auditorium here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bigg Boss 10: Manu Punjabi to make a comeback on Salman Khan's show?
- Relationships, friendships and more: Karan Johar reveals the truth about actors
- Ranveer Singh prefers to protect his personal life!
- Seven times Karisma Kapoor gave us serious fashion goals
- Are stubborn acne marks troubling you? Check out these home remedies
- Kaabil: Hrithik Roshan flaunts new release date in Tamil, Telugu posters
- Amy Jackson says Rajinikanth gets nervous about media
- Tamannaah Bhatia excited about 'Queen' remake
- Couple claims Dhanush as biological son; actor asked to appear before court
- Tamannaah Bhatia’s next few announcements will surprise everybody