Mumbai: This Marathi film has taken the Box Office by storm. Nagraj Popatrao Manjule’s film ‘Sairat’ starring debutants Rinku Rajguru and Akash Thosar has been drawing mammoth crowd to the theatres since its release on April 29.
The film has reportedly minted over Rs 18 crores at the Box Office in just four days. In the opening week, the film was scheduled to screen at 400 theatres and the total number of shows amounted to 8500 shows. Incredibly, in the second week, additional 60 theatres have been deputed to screen the film and the total number of shows stands at 14,000 now.
The film is growing more popular owing to word-of-mouth publicity; let’s take a look at the reasons to watch the award winning film:
- ‘Sairat’ is a product of ace filmmaker Nagraj Popatrao Manjule, who has earlier delivered films like ‘Pistulya’ and ‘Fandry’. Majule bagged the Best First Non-Feature Film award for ‘Pistulya’ and child actor Suraj Pawar (Child actor) won a special award for the film. The director won the Best First Film of a Director – Indira Gandhi Award (Golden Lotus) National Film Festival for ‘Fandry’ and child artist Somnath Awghade bagged an award too.
- Sairat is the first ever Indian film, to record its music at Sony Scoring Studios in Hollywood, LA. Music composer duo Ajay –Atul is a part of this record.
- ‘Sairat’ was the sole Marathi film participant at the Berlin International Festival in 2016. It went on to become the fourth Marathi film to be screen at the prestigious festival.
- The lead actress, Rinku, a fifteen-year-old, bagged an award in the National Film Award – Special Jury Award / Special Mention (Feature Film) category this year.
- Manjule has excelled in the art of expressing the language of cinema by intricately weaving the loopholes that tarnish the social fabric of the Indian society.
With so much of applause and wolf-whistles, ‘Sairat’ has been able to strike an emotional chord with the viewers.
It’s certainly a glorious period for regional cinema in India.