‘Vishwaroopam’ row: Centre forms Committee to review Cinema Act
New Delhi: In the wake of row over Kamal Hasan`s movie ‘Vishwaroopam’, the Centre Monday set up a judicial committee to have a relook at the Cinematograph Act to make it more robust and ensure that movies do not get stuck after clearances by the film certification board.
The 8-member Committee, headed by retired Chief Justice of Delhi High Court Mukul Mudgal, also includes film star Sharmila Tagore and noted poet and MP Javed Akhtar.
The committee was set up by the Information and Broadcasting Ministry against the backdrop of Vishwaroopam being banned by the J Jayalalithaa-led Tamil Nadu government despite the Censor Board`s clearance.
Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari had last week said that the Act needed to be revisited to remove uncertainty with regard to a movie even after it has been cleared by the Central Board of Film Certification.
Tewari had said that the Committee will look into whether there is a need to make the "statutory architecture or the regulatory framework" of the Act more "robust" to ensure that the CBFC decision is implemented by the states.
As per the Seventh Schedule of the Constitution, the Centre has powers to certify a film to be either fit or unfit for exhibition.
"The Central government exercises those powers through the Central Board of Film Certification. Once CBFC comes to a certain conclusion, then it is expected that the state governments would implement that decision as this exclusively falls under the Centre`s jurisdiction," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Russell Brand to make Indian audience 'chuckle' away in June
- Taylor Swift in Forbes Power Women List
- 'Inside Out' to release in India on June 26
- I'm lucky to have good genes: Eva Longoria
- Amitabh Bachchan advised Anil Kapoor not to take sabbatical
- 'Masaan' to release in India on July 24
- Emraan Hashmi's 'Azhar' teases crosses 1 million views!
- Indian stories need global exposure: 'Lunchbox' director Ritesh Batra
- Ricky Martin believes in `connect before marriage
- Criminal Mustafa Dossa conducts model audition inside court premises
- Kangana's midas touch: 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns` racing fast towards Rs 100 crore
- Playwright, actor Sam Shepard arrested on drunken driving charge
- Broadway 2014-2015 season is best ever with $1.36 billion in grosses
- Artist sells other's Instagram photo for $90,000
- Vietnam's 'Ceramic King' has over 100,000 antiques
- Haryana to set up three museums
- Indus Valley script numerical, not language: Historian
- Rajkumar Hirani produces his sister's play
- Ramayana miniatures go on show in Canberra
- Teenagers throws spotlight on social issues through theatre
- Paul Walker's 'Fast and Furious' Supra auctioned off for USD 185K
- No winning or losing in art: Helen Mirren
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt