Government to launch nutrition campaign
New Delhi: The government will soon launch a campaign to promote nutrition on the lines of the polio vaccination programme, an official said Monday.
"Nutrition is a major challenge and a serious concern. So, like the pulse polio programme, the government will also run a programme to spread awareness on nutrition," Women and Child Development Secretary D.K. Sikri said at an event here.
He added there will be a special focus on children.
"Ninety percent of the brain development happens in the first six years," he said.
Speaking at the function, Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath said the Integrated Child Development Scheme (ICDS) will be restructured and used as a vehicle for addressing the issue of poor nutrition.
"The ICDS will be restructured. We are looking forward to involve the anganwadi workers to increase nutrition among children," Tirath said.
According to UNICEF, one in every three malnourished children in the world lives in India.
comments powered by Disqus
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'