Government to launch nutrition campaign
New Delhi: The government will soon launch a campaign to promote nutrition on the lines of the polio vaccination programme, an official said Monday.
"Nutrition is a major challenge and a serious concern. So, like the pulse polio programme, the government will also run a programme to spread awareness on nutrition," Women and Child Development Secretary D.K. Sikri said at an event here.
He added there will be a special focus on children.
"Ninety percent of the brain development happens in the first six years," he said.
Speaking at the function, Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath said the Integrated Child Development Scheme (ICDS) will be restructured and used as a vehicle for addressing the issue of poor nutrition.
"The ICDS will be restructured. We are looking forward to involve the anganwadi workers to increase nutrition among children," Tirath said.
According to UNICEF, one in every three malnourished children in the world lives in India.
comments powered by Disqus
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends