Government to launch nutrition campaign
New Delhi: The government will soon launch a campaign to promote nutrition on the lines of the polio vaccination programme, an official said Monday.
"Nutrition is a major challenge and a serious concern. So, like the pulse polio programme, the government will also run a programme to spread awareness on nutrition," Women and Child Development Secretary D.K. Sikri said at an event here.
He added there will be a special focus on children.
"Ninety percent of the brain development happens in the first six years," he said.
Speaking at the function, Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath said the Integrated Child Development Scheme (ICDS) will be restructured and used as a vehicle for addressing the issue of poor nutrition.
"The ICDS will be restructured. We are looking forward to involve the anganwadi workers to increase nutrition among children," Tirath said.
According to UNICEF, one in every three malnourished children in the world lives in India.
comments powered by Disqus
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?