India`s Ist guidelines for physiotherapists
New Delhi: India`s first clinical guidelines for physiotherapists dealing with ailments like low back pain, hemiplehia (brain stroke) and Parkinson`s Disease will be ready by 2014, the Indian Association of Physiotherapists (IAP) said Sunday.
Announced on the concluding day of the 50th annual conference of the IAP held here, the guidelines would be systematically developed to assist the practitioner to take decisions about appropriate health care for specific clinical circumstances, said a statement.
"It is for the first time that clinical guidelines for Indians would be framed. The objective is to create evidence-based practice guidelines for its members for better patient outcome," said Umasankar Mohanty, President, IAP Organising Chairman of the conference.
According to Rajeev Agarwal, Member, IAP, it would be a multi-centre study which would involve centres from the metros and state capitals.
"Physiotherapists who have acquired substantial experience in carrying out their practice would be enrolled in the study. We expect to release the first ever clinical guidelines in 2014 at our annual conference," he said.
According to IAP, at present the physiotherapists of India are following the guidelines framed by American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) but as Indian patients are different, guidelines framed by other countries do not apply fully on them.
"We know that Indians are racially different from others and the risk factors for different diseases defined for us are different from those for other populations," said Sanjiv Kumar Jha, General Secretary, IAP.
"We need our own guidelines in view of our special geographical, ethnic, and climatic conditions and very different dietary habits," he added.
comments powered by Disqus
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees