WHO expands steps to fight non-communicable diseases
Yangon: Aiming to tackle the high occurrence of non-communicable diseases in Southeast Asia, the World Health Organisation (WHO) said here Wednesday that it would expand technical competence and resources in its action plan for the region.
"WHO is exercising a coordination role within the United Nations system in addressing NCDs (non-communicable diseases) and to be more effective in supporting countries. It is expanding technical competence and resources in its action plan on NCDs," Samlee Plianbangchang, regional director for southeast Asia, said at a regional meeting on non-communicable diseases.
The three-day meet that began Wednesday took up the issue of mental health and neurological disorders among non-communicable diseases that contribute to eight million deaths annually in the region.
Non-communicable diseases include cardiovascular diseases, diabetes and cancer among others.
"The great concern is that one third of these deaths are premature and and these deaths occur before the age of 60 years in the economically productive groups," Plianbangchang added.
According to experts, the high occurrence of non-communicable diseases is accelerated by factors such as a rapidly ageing population, unplanned urbanisation and unhealthy lifestyle.
The regional meeting will be attended by over 100 stakeholders from health and non-health sectors, including officials from 11 member states such as India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Nepal.
"This is also an opportunity to share countries` past experiences in the prevention and control of non-communicable diseases," Plianbangchang said.
comments powered by Disqus
- Why was Kulbhushan Jadhav denied councillor access by Pakistan?
- BJP MP Shatrughan Sinha praises Arvind Kejriwal on Twitter
- Delhi: Man dies after being trapped in lift in Narela
- Rajnath Singh chairs meet on Kashmir situation
- Yeddyurappa ate hotel food at Dalit's home, accused of practicing 'untouchability'
- Instead of tying stone pelter on army jeep tie Arundhati Roy, tweets BJP MP Paresh Rawal; sparks row
- IPL 2017 Final, Rising Pune Supergiant vs Mumbai Indians — As it happened...
- Megresults.nic.in, mbose.in SSLC 10th Results 2017 MOBSE: Meghalaya board Tura Class 10th (X) SSLC Results 2017 to be announced today soon
- Prabhas’ ‘Baahubali 2’ becomes highest grosser Hindi movie! Check out Box Office report
- LIVE: Hours before blast, Islamic State sympathiser tweeted Manchester arena with ''ISIS flag''