Who is Thuingaleng Muivah?
Thuingaleng Muivah is the present General Secretary of the National Socialist Council of Nagaland, NSCN (IM). He belongs to a Naga tribe of Tangkhul community.
Muivah, who began his political journey in 1960s, joined Naga political organisation called NNC (Naga National Council) in 1964 and was assigned the General Secretary’s post in 1965. He was tied with NNC for at least 10 years until differences cropped up between the leaders over the signing of `Shillong Accord` with the central government.
Since Muivah’s faction opposed the accord, it subsequently led to the creation of Naga National Socialist Council of Nagaland in 1980. Later, over the issue of talk’s process with the Govt of India, NSCN was split into two parts i.e. NSCN (IM) led by Isak Chishi Swu, Muivah and NSCN (K) led by SS Khaplang in 1988. Since then he has been assigned the task of Gen Secy of the NSCN (IM) organisation till date.
Born on March 3, 1934 at Somdal village in Ukhrul district of Manipur, Thuingaleng Muivah was brought up in a poor family to Shangkathan Muivah and Luimala Muivah.
He completed Matriculation from Ukhrul High School and later finished his graduation from St Edmunds College in Shillong. He pursued his Masters degree in political Science from Guwahati Cotton College and also studied law.
After finishing education, he went back home and initially rendered his service as a teacher and social worker until fate took its own turn and he decided to work for Nagas’ cause.
comments powered by Disqus
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price