Who is Thuingaleng Muivah?
Thuingaleng Muivah is the present General Secretary of the National Socialist Council of Nagaland, NSCN (IM). He belongs to a Naga tribe of Tangkhul community.
Muivah, who began his political journey in 1960s, joined Naga political organisation called NNC (Naga National Council) in 1964 and was assigned the General Secretary’s post in 1965. He was tied with NNC for at least 10 years until differences cropped up between the leaders over the signing of `Shillong Accord` with the central government.
Since Muivah’s faction opposed the accord, it subsequently led to the creation of Naga National Socialist Council of Nagaland in 1980. Later, over the issue of talk’s process with the Govt of India, NSCN was split into two parts i.e. NSCN (IM) led by Isak Chishi Swu, Muivah and NSCN (K) led by SS Khaplang in 1988. Since then he has been assigned the task of Gen Secy of the NSCN (IM) organisation till date.
Born on March 3, 1934 at Somdal village in Ukhrul district of Manipur, Thuingaleng Muivah was brought up in a poor family to Shangkathan Muivah and Luimala Muivah.
He completed Matriculation from Ukhrul High School and later finished his graduation from St Edmunds College in Shillong. He pursued his Masters degree in political Science from Guwahati Cotton College and also studied law.
After finishing education, he went back home and initially rendered his service as a teacher and social worker until fate took its own turn and he decided to work for Nagas’ cause.
comments powered by Disqus
- Vishu Bumper 2017: Kerala lottery result declared; winner gets Rs 4 crore as first prize - Check winning ticket numbers here
- Devendra Fadnavis' chopper crash-lands in Latur, Maharashtra CM safe; AIB to probe mishap
- Vivek Oberoi's gift to acid attack survivor Lalita Benbansi on her wedding day will melt your heart!
- US revives New Silk Road, Indo-Pacific Economic Corridor to counter China's OBOR; India may play key role
- 7th Pay Commission: Report on allowances committee to be looked into by June 1