Anna ends fast, says fight will continue
New Delhi: Seeking to mount pressure on the
government, civil rights activist Anna Hazare on Wednesday observed a
day-long fast at Rajghat and threatened another hunger strike
from August 16 if Lokpal Bill is not passed by then, saying it
was part of the "second freedom struggle".
The agitation saw Hazare and his associates attacking the
government for putting "hurdles" in the drafting of a strong
Lokpal Bill that will have under its purview the Prime
Minister, higher judiciary and MPs` activities in Parliament.
Hazare slammed the government, alleging that it was
trying to target the civil society members of the joint Lokpal
panel, such as Shanti Bhushan, Prashant Bhushan, Santosh Hegde
and Arvind Kejriwal through a "discreet" campaign.
Joined by a few thousand supporters, Hazare staged the
protest against the police crackdown on Ramdev`s congregation
here on Saturday night. The Hazare camp made it clear that the
protest was "not for Ramdev as such" but the cause of black
money, Lokpal and "assault on democratic rights".
Terming the police action at Ramlila as a "blot on
humanity" and attempt to "stifle democracy", Hazare and his
associates accused the government of trying to "steamroll" any
dissent "only because they have been elected for five years".
"We are yet to achieve real independence. The second
struggle of independence has started," Hazare said adding, he
will launch an indefinite fast at Jantar Mantar here from
August 16 if the Lokpal Bill is not passed by then.
Hazare`s fast in April had evoked nationwide support
forcing the government to form a joint panel of civil society
members and ministers to draft the bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?