Another World Cup let-down for Kaka
Brazil’s Kaka has bowed out of the World Cup for the second time in a row with the frustration of failing to produce his best on the biggest stage.
Port Elizabeth: Brazil’s Kaka has bowed out of the World Cup for the second time in a row with the frustration of failing to produce his best on the biggest stage.
Four years ago, the playmaker was in a star-studded albeit overconfident Brazil side that failed to meet expectations and were knocked out in the quarter-finals by France.
This time Kaka was given a much more prominent role but, still battling for full fitness, was only able to provide much-needed midfield inspiration in small doses.
Luck was also against him.
He was wrongly sent off in Brazil’s second game with Ivory Coast and denied when his curling shot in Friday’s quarter-final with Netherlands was brilliantly saved by Maarten Stekelenburg.
If his chipped effort had gone in, Brazil would might have had a potentially decisive 2-0 lead before halftime. Instead, the Dutch fought back for a stunning 2-1 win.
Kaka came into the World Cup after an injury-plagued debut season with Real Madrid.
Brazilians hoped he would peak at the right time and find the form that saw him named World Player of the Year in 2007.
But, like the rest of his team, he showed only exasperating flashes of his true potential, despite improving slowly as the tournament wore on.
“There were moments when I didn’t think I was going to make it to the World Cup but my team mates gave me support and helped me to keep fighting,” he told reporters. “Only I know how much I fought to get here.”
“I wanted more, I wanted to get to the final, I wanted to challenge for our sixth world title.
“We lost on the details, on two set pieces, and this causes a feeling of pain and frustration.
“I know how painful it is for those who are suffering with us and they can know that we are suffering as well.”
Curiously, Kaka’s most successful World Cup was 2002 where he left with a winner’s medal but played for only 20 minutes as a substitute in the group game against Costa Rica.
The 28-year-old said it was too early to think about playing in 2014, when Brazil will host the event.
“I don’t know what’s going to happen from here on,” he said. “It’s a very difficult moment for me, in my career.
“It’s still a long way off and this defeat is very recent. At this moment, I have to reflect.”
Moscow: Russian cargo spaceship Progress M-06M which failed to dock with the International Space Station (ISS) Friday is ready for yet another attempt Sunday.
The orbit of the spaceship will be adjusted twice to ensure a successful docking, a source at the Mission Control Center said.
Friday`s docking for the Progress M-06M, which blasted off from the Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan Wednesday, has been aborted due to a loss of telemetry.
Flight controllers reported the re-supply craft flew past the ISS. The spacecraft was about 2 km from the station when the system received a signal to stop approaching the ISS.
The source said the Progress M-06M had been transferred into the rotation mode that makes the active operation impossible. This mode helps charge the spacecraft`s battery since the Progress entered the shadow zone.
Vitaly Davydov, a deputy chief of the Russian Federal Space Agency, earlier said that the orbit currently occupied by Progress spacecraft did not allow controlling the spacecraft`s flight.
The new docking attempt will be again carried out in the automated mode, he added.
The space freighter launched on a Soyuz-U carrier rocket carries fuel, oxygen, scientific equipment and video and photo equipment to the ISS, as well as food, water and personal items for the 6-men crew of the orbital station.