Arsenal`s Song banned for three matches
London: Arsenal midfielder Alex Song will miss his club`s next three Premier League matches after accepting an FA charge of violent conduct following Saturday`s opening league game at Newcastle United.
Song was charged after appearing to stamp on the leg of opponent Joey Barton during the ill-tempered 0-0 draw.
Although the referee missed the incident and did not book him, television replays clearly showed the incident and the FA reviewed the case afterwards.
His team mate Gervinho was sent off in the match for slapping Barton and both players will now miss the forthcoming games against Liverpool, Manchester United and Swansea.
The FA confirmed Song`s suspension in a statement on Wednesday, saying he would be eligible to play in the return leg of Arsenal`s Champions League playoff against Udinese next Wednesday. The north London club won the first leg 1-0 at home on Tuesday.
Both Newcastle and Arsenal have until Thursday to respond to a further FA charge of failing to control their players during Saturday`s match at St James` Park.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah