Arsenal`s Song banned for three matches
London: Arsenal midfielder Alex Song will miss his club`s next three Premier League matches after accepting an FA charge of violent conduct following Saturday`s opening league game at Newcastle United.
Song was charged after appearing to stamp on the leg of opponent Joey Barton during the ill-tempered 0-0 draw.
Although the referee missed the incident and did not book him, television replays clearly showed the incident and the FA reviewed the case afterwards.
His team mate Gervinho was sent off in the match for slapping Barton and both players will now miss the forthcoming games against Liverpool, Manchester United and Swansea.
The FA confirmed Song`s suspension in a statement on Wednesday, saying he would be eligible to play in the return leg of Arsenal`s Champions League playoff against Udinese next Wednesday. The north London club won the first leg 1-0 at home on Tuesday.
Both Newcastle and Arsenal have until Thursday to respond to a further FA charge of failing to control their players during Saturday`s match at St James` Park.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij