Australia rules out total smoking ban
Sydney: Australia plans the world`s toughest laws on tobacco promotion but Health Minister Nicola Roxon denied Sunday the government`s ultimate goal was a complete ban on smoking.
Under proposed legislation, due to take effect next year, all logos will be removed from cigarette packets, which must be a drab olive-green colour and be plastered with graphic health warnings.
The big tobacco companies have vowed to fight the move in the courts.
Anti-smoking advocates were quoted in the media Sunday as saying a smoking ban could be a reality within 10 to 15 years, but Roxon said that was not part of her agenda.
"No, I don`t think it is," she told the Ten Network`s "Meet the Press" programme when asked if a complete ban was where she was ultimately heading.
"I think what is logical about it is if tobacco were a brand new product today, seeking to come on to the market, and we knew about tobacco what we know now, it would not be a legal product.
"But the truth is that it has been a legal product for many, many years. "We`re trying to make sure that we tackle the last remaining method that tobacco companies use to market their products.
"We know it is successful in marketing their products, because we know that they are determined to stop it and they are very fearful about what it will do to their business.
"We know it affects their profits. It means it is good to reduce the number of smokers. That is the public health aim we have."
Mike Daube, president of the Australian Council on Smoking and Health, told the Melbourne Age newspaper public support for banning tobacco was growing.
"The way smoking trends are going, it`s not unrealistic to think that we should see an end to the commercial sale of cigarettes within 10 to 15 years," he said.
Around 15,000 Australians die of smoking-related diseases every year, with tobacco use costing the country Aus$31.5 billion ($32.9 billion) annually in healthcare and lost productivity.
Smoking in prohibited in virtually all enclosed public places in Australia, such as pubs, restaurants and workplaces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly