Auto expo sees over 2 million visitors, 25 new launches
New Delhi: The seven-day Auto Expo, which drew to a close on Monday, had over 2 million enthusiasts passing through its doors to catch the buzz surrounding some of the most advanced cars showcased by global majors.
The global economic gloom notwithstanding, the show saw more new launches than any other previous edition with international firms taking the lead and a total of 25 new models being unveiled.
The success of the expo is a testimony to India`s emergence as a global manufacturing hub, Union Minister of state for Commerce and Industry Jyotiraditya Scindia said on Monday at the valedictory function of the 10th Auto Expo.
>"The expo has grown from strength to strength since 1986. This year we received two million footfalls," Scindia said.
He said the Indian automobile market is a "relatively virgin" one with only nine cars per thousand persons as against 27 per thousand in China.
"...India is becoming attractive choice for its low-cost design innovation and design of scale and is becoming hub for manufacture of small cars... The Indian automobile market is growing at a CAGR (compound annual growth rate) of 30 per cen and last fiscal exports grew by 52 per cent," he added.
Speaking at the occasion, Hero Group`s Sunil Kant Munjal said 2,105 exhibitors took part at the biennial auto show.
"In terms of product launches, this expo surpassed all the previous editions with 25 new models revealed. This is the biggest and the best show we have ever had so far. We hope this expo will be the springboard for future development of the automobile and manufacturing sector," Munjal said.
Eyeing the volume segment in India, big car makers, including Honda, Toyota and Volkswagen, showcased their small cars at the week-long expo.
While the compact cars were the cynosure of all eyes, green technology made a strong mark with many companies showing hybrids and alternate fuel vehicles.
Most of the companies are looking at garnering a seizable chunk of the Indian car market, which is heading towards the milestone of two million units a year.
"Even in difficult times, the Indian economy is growing at 7 per cent and is cynosure of the world," Scindia said.
Companies like Suzuki, Toyota, General Motors, Ford and Honda are already in the process of ramping up capacities, he added.
Talking about the component industry, Scindia said it is exporting over USD 3 billion worth of auto parts from the country.
At a concluding day event, Tata Motors and Maruti Suzuki India won accolades for having the largest display areas, while the credit for the largest country pavilion went to Germany.
Tata Motors and Ashok Leyland also got appreciation for their continuous support for all the 10 editions of the expo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India