Baros nets four as Czechs enjoy 7-0 win over San Marino
London: Milan Baros struck four times to help Czech Republic give their World Cup qualification hopes a lift with a 7-0 win over San Marino on Wednesday.
Baros, who netted a vital late equaliser against Slovakia on Saturday, picked up where he had left off, netting a first-half hat-trick and adding his fourth midway through the second half.
Vaclav Sverkos scored two and Tomas Necid got one to complete a victory that leaves the Czechs with 12 points from eight matches in Group Three and still with a chance of qualification.
Slovakia top the group with 16 points from seven heading into their match away to second-placed Northern Ireland, who have 14 points from eight games.
Poland and Slovenia are also in the running in a tight group, with only the winners qualifying for South Africa 2010 directly.
The eight best second-placed teams from the nine groups in Europe go into two-legged play-offs for the four remaining places.
San Marino finished Wednesday`s game with 10 men after Simone Bacciocchi was booked for the second time for holding up play with eight minutes to go.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves