Baros nets four as Czechs enjoy 7-0 win over San Marino
London: Milan Baros struck four times to help Czech Republic give their World Cup qualification hopes a lift with a 7-0 win over San Marino on Wednesday.
Baros, who netted a vital late equaliser against Slovakia on Saturday, picked up where he had left off, netting a first-half hat-trick and adding his fourth midway through the second half.
Vaclav Sverkos scored two and Tomas Necid got one to complete a victory that leaves the Czechs with 12 points from eight matches in Group Three and still with a chance of qualification.
Slovakia top the group with 16 points from seven heading into their match away to second-placed Northern Ireland, who have 14 points from eight games.
Poland and Slovenia are also in the running in a tight group, with only the winners qualifying for South Africa 2010 directly.
The eight best second-placed teams from the nine groups in Europe go into two-legged play-offs for the four remaining places.
San Marino finished Wednesday`s game with 10 men after Simone Bacciocchi was booked for the second time for holding up play with eight minutes to go.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India