Bartoli begins final US Open tune-up in style
New York: Fourth seed Marion Bartoli began her final warm-up to the US Open in impressive style by blasting Australian qualifier Anastasia Rodionova 6-1, 6-4 in first round action at the New Haven Open.
The 26-year-old Frenchwoman, one of four top 10 players taking part in the US Open tune-up, was forced to save three break points in the opening but was never threatened in setting up a second round meeting with Czech Klara Zakopalova.
Fifth seed Agnieszka Radwanska of Poland cruised into the second round by pounding Russia`s Ekaterina Makarova 6-1, 6-2 while eighth seed Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova came out on top of an all-Russian clash rallying past Vera Dushevina 3-6, 6-4, 6-3.
World number one Caroline Wozniacki arrives in New Haven searching for some hard court form after suffering opening match losses in her last two tournaments.
The Dane, who received a first round bye, could not hope for a better place to discover some hard court success ahead of the US Open as she will attempt to become the 10th player in the Open Era to win the same WTA title in four straight years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America