Bartoli begins final US Open tune-up in style
New York: Fourth seed Marion Bartoli began her final warm-up to the US Open in impressive style by blasting Australian qualifier Anastasia Rodionova 6-1, 6-4 in first round action at the New Haven Open.
The 26-year-old Frenchwoman, one of four top 10 players taking part in the US Open tune-up, was forced to save three break points in the opening but was never threatened in setting up a second round meeting with Czech Klara Zakopalova.
Fifth seed Agnieszka Radwanska of Poland cruised into the second round by pounding Russia`s Ekaterina Makarova 6-1, 6-2 while eighth seed Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova came out on top of an all-Russian clash rallying past Vera Dushevina 3-6, 6-4, 6-3.
World number one Caroline Wozniacki arrives in New Haven searching for some hard court form after suffering opening match losses in her last two tournaments.
The Dane, who received a first round bye, could not hope for a better place to discover some hard court success ahead of the US Open as she will attempt to become the 10th player in the Open Era to win the same WTA title in four straight years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000