Bengal mourns Basu’s death, I-League match called off
Kolkata: With the state in mourning for the next three days owing to former chief minister Jyoti Basu’s death, the January 19 I-League encounter between Chirag United SC and Dempo SC has been postponed.
West Bengal Sports minister Kanti Ganguly spoke with Indian Football Association (IFA) secretary Utpal Ganguli and I-League match has been put off.
IFA also decided to cancel FIFA World Cup Trophy celebration programme which was scheduled to be held at Yuba Bharati Krirangan (YBK) this evening.
IFA office will also remain closed on Monday, officials said.
“The state is observing a three-day mourning and the I-League match falls during that period. The sports minister and IFA had a talk and decided to postpone the match. A fresh date will be announced later,” All India Football Federation (AIFF) vice-president Subrata Dutta told reporters.
“Also, there will be no musical programme at YBK today. There will be no music and FIFA World Cup will just be put up for display,” he said.
1990 World Cup winning West Germany captain Lothar Matthaus is currently in the city as part of FIFA Trophy’s first leg of the worldwide tour.
“He will leave tonight while the FIFA World Cup Trophy will set for the second leg of the tour tomorrow,” Dutta said.
An evening filled with music and entertainment by rock band Euphoria, Bangla band Chandrabindoo, and a performance by Usha Uthup was scheduled this evening at YBK to mark the culmination of Kolkata leg of the Trophy tour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal