Bihar: Devotees pray to rising sun to mark end of Chhath puja
Patna: Rivers and ponds in Bihar came alive
with bursting of crackers and holy songs reverberated in the
air as lakhs of devotees offered `arghyas` (obeisance) to the
rising Sun on the concluding day of the four-day Chhath
The `bratis` (who keep fast) took a holy dip into the
water on ghats prepared along the rivers and ponds at dawn and
performed the rituals till the Sun God came up.
The traditional `thekuas` cooked in pure ghee and made
with sugar, raisins and flour were offered to `Chhati Mata`
along with coconuts, fruits and sugarcanes.
The popular Chhath songs seeking blessings of `Chhati
Mata` for the prosperity of family members reverberated in the
air as children burst crackers and women in colourful sarees
applied vermillion on each other`s forehead.
The Chhath puja is the biggest festival in Bihar and
draws family members from all over the country together on the
In the state capital, elaborate arrangements were made at
ghats along river Ganga and ponds elsewhere for the
celebrations and the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF)
personnel, local divers with boats, doctors and ambulances
were kept ready in case of any emergency.
"The celebrations remained peaceful amid tight security
arrangements in place," Additional Director General of Police
(Headquarters) Neelmani said.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar along with his deputy Sushil
Kumar Modi personally kept close watch on the situation and
visited most of the ghats in the state capital and exchanged
greetings with the devotees and others who were present.
RJD chief Lalu Prasad`s wife Rabri Devi performed the
chhath at her official residence here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal