Boca draw 4-4 at Velez in Argentine season`s best match
Buenos Aires: Striker Santiago Silva stated his case for a place in Uruguay`s World Cup squad with two goals in Velez Sarsfield`s 4-4 draw with Boca Juniors in the Argentine Clausura championship.
Veteran Martin Palermo confirmed to Argentina coach Diego Maradona his form with one of Boca`s goals and, despite also missing a penalty, tied his club`s all time goals record of 218 held by Roberto Cherro since 1938.
Not to be left out, Chile defender Gary "Pitbull" Medel popped up on the right to equalize in the 89th minute after Velez had fought back from 3-1 down in the best match of the Argentine season so far.
Both teams served up a feast of attacking soccer as they recovered from poor weekend results, Boca having conceded a stoppage-time equaliser in a 1-1 home draw with Estudiantes and Velez having lost 3-2 at Huracan.
The result leaves Boca in mid table while Velez, with 12 points from seven matches, took a share of the lead in the standings with Godoy Cruz, who are at home to Lanus on Wednesday, and Colon, away to title holders Banfield on Thursday.
Midfielder Victor Zapata headed Velez in front from a free kick after a quarter of an hour of the match at Velez`s El Fortin ground in the capital.
Boca then scored three unanswered goals with left back Luciano Monzon equalising from a tight angle in the 36th minute.
Palermo, who had a 26th-minute penalty saved by German Montoya, struck in the 39th from Juan Roman Riquelme`s square pass from the left and forward Nicolas Gaitan ended a fine move with a brilliant third just before the hour.
Silva pulled one back with a header in the 62nd minute and substitute Juan Martinez rifled in an equaliser in the 74th.
The 29-year-old Uruguayan striker got his second goal, and fifth this year, when he chased a long ball out of defence, shrugged off Boca`s Brazilian centre back Luiz Alberto and shot under advancing keeper Javier Garcia to put Velez ahead again.
Medel, who would not have been playing had Chile`s World Cup warm-ups on Wednesday not been cancelled because of Saturday`s devastating earthquake in his home country, then pounced on the rebound from Montoya, who had dived to save Riquelme`s low left-footed shot from outside the box.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate