Bolt handed diplomatic passport by Jamaica`s PM
Kingston: Triple world and Olympic champion Usain Bolt received a diplomatic passport from Jamaica`s Prime Minister Bruce Golding.
The 23-year-old received the document, which allows him to travel overseas as an ambassador-at-large, during a brief ceremony at Golding`s Jamaica House office.
"This is a big thing for me and I will try to do my best and will live up to your expectations," Bolt told Golding after accepting the document.
Golding praised Bolt as a role model who can continue to make Jamaica proud.
"We have a great athlete, a great icon, someone who can help to strengthen Jamaica`s image right across the globe," Golding said.
The Prime Minister said the presentation of the diplomatic passport was not an award but a way of asking Bolt to help promote Jamaica`s image overseas.
"We want the world never to forget for one moment that he is Jamaican to the bone and he has so strengthened our image and is such a powerful symbol of what Jamaicans can become," he said.
"We are asking him in his travels, whatever he does and wherever he goes, that he be Jamaica`s ambassador and continues to bring glory to the country and makes sure that everyone understands that respect is due," Golding added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video