Bopanna-Qureshi in quarterfinals of French Open
Paris: Indian Davis Cupper Rohan Bopanna and his Pakistani partner Aisam-ul-haq Qureshi advanced to the French Open men`s doubles quarter-finals with a straight-set win over Andrey Golubev of Kazakhstan and Denis Istomin of Uzbekistan.
The fifth seed Indo-Pak pair recorded a 6-3 7-5 win over their unseeded rivals in the third round in one hour and nine minutes.
It will be the third quarter-final appearance in the last four Grand Slams for Bopanna and Qureshi.
They will now clash with top seeded American twins Mike and Bob Bryan, who defeated Russia`s Teymuraz Gabashvili and Mikhail Kukushkin of Kazakhstan 7-6 (6) 7-5 in their pre-quarterfinal round.
Bopanna and Qureshi had lost to Bryan brothers in the US Open final last year.
Bopanna is the only Indian surviving in the men`s doubles as Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi made a shock second round exit.
Later in the day, seventh seeds Sania Mirza and Russian Elena Vesnina will take on top seeds Gisela Dulko of Argentina and Flavia Pennetta of Italy in the women`s doubles quarterfinals.
Another contest of Indian interest would be the mixed doubles quarterfinal between Indo-Czech pair of Paes and Iveta Benesova and the top seeded combination of Slovakian Katarina Srebotnik and Serbian Nenad Zimonjic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery