`BPOs to be taxed under new government code`
Mumbai: Business Processing Outsourcing (BPO) centres in India would be subjected to taxation under the new proposed Direct Tax Code (DTC) but some clarifications, especially on double taxation, were still needed, an expert said.
"The (tax) exception given to BPOs has to be withdrawn under section 10 (A) of Income Tax Act. There is no provision in DTC for any such extension of benefits," tax expert and International Fiscal Association of India Branch Chairman T P Oswal said.
According to him, the BPOs can be taxed on the basis of the profit they make in India and also overall profit.
"According to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), a France-based grouping of 30 developed countries, these BPOs can be taxed on the basis of the overall profit of the company. But according to a ruling of the Supreme Court it is not possible," he said.
BPOs can approach the Government under the Advanced Price Arrangement (APA) for a clarification about the taxation process, to avoid any incident of double taxation, Oswal said.
"There is a new provision called Advanced Price Agreement (APA) included in DTC. The BPOs can approach the Government and ask for a clarification," the tax expert said.
"No amendments or circular will carry retrospective effect in this regard and the vested rights of the tax-payer will not be taken away. Their agreement under APA will be unchangeable for a maximum of five years," Oswal added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj