British criminals to be tracked using satellites
London: Criminals in Britain who are out of jail or on bail will now be tracked using satellites, officials said.
The new system dubbed "Chav-Nav" uses technology similar to car navigation. Ankle bracelets tied on criminals send the wearer`s location via satellite to a website, the Daily Express reported.
Police can even track where criminals have been in the previous month.
Families across Britain are already using the technology to keep track of their children or vulnerable family members like those suffering from dementia.
The device has a battery that lasts for two weeks.
Hertfordshire detective superintendent John Chapman said: "These devices save us a lot of time and energy by being able to say that someone wasn`t at the scene of a crime. It can tell us that none were anywhere near burglaries or tell us they have been."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report