British PM hails Rio`s 2016 Olympic win
London: British Prime Minister Gordon Brown congratulated Rio de Janeiro today on being named host of the 2016 Olympic Games, saying the city would make a “special contribution”.
London will host the 2012 Games and Brown said he looked forward to working closely with Brazilian officials on the handover between the two.
“I am pleased to offer my congratulations to Rio de Janeiro on winning the right to host the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games,” he said after the International Olympic Committee (IOC) announcement in Copenhagen.
“I know very well the pride and excitement the people of Rio and indeed the whole of Brazil will be feeling tonight at the prospect of having the Olympics on home soil.”
Brown added: “I have no doubt that Rio will make its own special contribution and make its own mark on this historic competition.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth