British PM hails Rio`s 2016 Olympic win
London: British Prime Minister Gordon Brown congratulated Rio de Janeiro today on being named host of the 2016 Olympic Games, saying the city would make a “special contribution”.
London will host the 2012 Games and Brown said he looked forward to working closely with Brazilian officials on the handover between the two.
“I am pleased to offer my congratulations to Rio de Janeiro on winning the right to host the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games,” he said after the International Olympic Committee (IOC) announcement in Copenhagen.
“I know very well the pride and excitement the people of Rio and indeed the whole of Brazil will be feeling tonight at the prospect of having the Olympics on home soil.”
Brown added: “I have no doubt that Rio will make its own special contribution and make its own mark on this historic competition.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY