Button hits out at safety following Perez’s Monaco GP crash
Monaco: McLaren’s Jenson Button has reacted to Sergio Perez’s heavy crash in qualifying for Sunday’s Monaco Grand Prix by saying that it was a “pity” it took such incidents to spur improvements in safety to the famous street circuit.
Perez was taken to a hospital after his 130mph crash into the safety barriers at the Chicane during qualifying on Saturday.
The Sauber driver escaped with concussion and a sprained thigh, but will definitely not race on Sunday as he is kept under observation.
The incident prompted memories of Button’s crash at the same spot eight years ago, which also left him with concussion and out of the race.
“Safety has improved a little bit, but there’s more work needed. If you have an issue there you are a passenger. It’s downhill, it’s bumpy, you lock the rear wheels and you’re in the sidewall. You then lose wheels, which loses the braking and you’re running on the car’s belly. You’re a sled and the car always aims straight for the barrier. You come off the wall and it pushes you in that direction,” The Telegraph quoted Button, as saying.
“When I had my accident they moved the barrier back, but we need to take action now and make a big push. We love racing and this is a special place, but there’s no reason we can’t help safety in that area.”
“We’ll see what we can do. It’s not over yet. We need to look to see what has to be done for the future,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 13,680 crore made under IDS by Mahesh Shah