CAG lambastes CPWD for CWG mess
New Delhi: Taking a dim view of the renovation and upgradation work carried out in various sporting venues in Delhi for the Commonwealth Games, the Comptroller and Auditor General has found that blatant favouritism was shown to certain contractors by the CPWD.
It has also found deficiencies in the bidding process and inexplicable delays in project execution by the CPWD which led to inflated cost in carrying out the work.
The appointment of Consulting Engineering Services as the main design consultant for five main stadia was seriously flawed as it did not have the specific expertise in designing stadiums, the report said.
Many concessions including extra payments were given to contractors of the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium and Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Swimming Pool.
Deficiencies in execution of work in the construction of the weightlifting auditorium at JLN Stadium and Kadarpur Shooting range are being highlighted by the CAG in its latest report.
It has pointed out that faulty methods were adopted to inflate rates for the benefit of the vendor involving providing chairs for VIPs and media at five venues.
However, commenting upon the CAG findings, CPWD Director General C S Prasad said, "It is an audit point of view. It was not an engineering report. Engineers should examine it to ascertain whether the work is good or bad."
Prasad said, "We will be submitting a proper report with documents after examining the CAG report."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference