CAG lambastes CPWD for CWG mess
New Delhi: Taking a dim view of the renovation and upgradation work carried out in various sporting venues in Delhi for the Commonwealth Games, the Comptroller and Auditor General has found that blatant favouritism was shown to certain contractors by the CPWD.
It has also found deficiencies in the bidding process and inexplicable delays in project execution by the CPWD which led to inflated cost in carrying out the work.
The appointment of Consulting Engineering Services as the main design consultant for five main stadia was seriously flawed as it did not have the specific expertise in designing stadiums, the report said.
Many concessions including extra payments were given to contractors of the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium and Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Swimming Pool.
Deficiencies in execution of work in the construction of the weightlifting auditorium at JLN Stadium and Kadarpur Shooting range are being highlighted by the CAG in its latest report.
It has pointed out that faulty methods were adopted to inflate rates for the benefit of the vendor involving providing chairs for VIPs and media at five venues.
However, commenting upon the CAG findings, CPWD Director General C S Prasad said, "It is an audit point of view. It was not an engineering report. Engineers should examine it to ascertain whether the work is good or bad."
Prasad said, "We will be submitting a proper report with documents after examining the CAG report."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!