Cameroon fine Song for refusing handshake
Yaounde: Arsenal midfielder Alexander Song has been fined for refusing a reconciliatory handshake from Samuel Eto`o, reflecting continuing divisions in the Cameroon soccer team.
Song was fined one million CFA Francs ($2,159) after a disciplinary hearing of the Cameroon Football Federation, state radio reported at the weekend.
Song had been charged along with Eto`o and Tottenham defender Benoit Assou Ekotto, who did not attend the hearing.
Song, who has not played for his country since a bust-up with captain Eto`o during the World Cup last year, had refused to shake hands with the African Footballer of the Year when the two met ahead of an African Nations Cup qualifier against Senegal earlier this month.
It was the first time that Song, who missed the match because of injury, had returned to the squad since last year`s World Cup in South Africa. His disagreements with Eto`o led to him being sidelined during the tournament, in which Cameroon lost all their matches.
Eto`o was found not guilty at the hearing of missing a training session and showing indiscipline during the Senegal match when he disputed a substitution that coach Javier Clemente.
Assou Ekotto was given an official warning for missing the match without explanation, the radio reported.
The June 4 match ended goalless, effectively costing Cameroon the chance of a place in next year`s finals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest