Central team to suggest financial assistance for Bihar
Patna: Describing the drought situation in
Bihar as "bad", a central team today said it would submit a
report on it to the Union Agriculture Ministry in a day or two
suggesting measures and financial assistance to be provided to
"The situation is indeed bad because of poor monsoon",
the 11-member team which ended its three-day visit to Bihar,
said during a meeting with Chief Minister Nitish Kumar,
official sources said.
The team headed by Joint Secretary of Union Agriculture
Ministry R K Tiwari had surveyed 12 of the 26 drought-hit
Kumar had asked the team to submit a fact-based report
to the Centre about the prevailing situation and apprise it of
the state`s preparedness to tackle the problem, the sources
The steps taken by the state government included
providing diesel and seed subsidy to farmers, drinking water
to far-flung areas of Rohtas and Kaimur districts in water
tankers and food and fodder distribution.
Kumar during his recent meeting with Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh had demanded a central package of Rs 23,000
crore to tackle the situation arising out of the calamity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway