Centre envisages $80-bn investment on roads, highways
Mumbai: The Centre is envisaging an investment of USD 80-billion in the construction of roads and highways over the next four years, half of which is likely to come from private and foreign investors, Union Road Transport and Highways Minister, Kamal Nath said on Thursday.
India also plans to put up 120 projects, covering 12,000-kilometres of roads for bidding in the next 8-10 months, he said.
"There are projects under the process of tendering at present. We plan to bid out 12,000-kilometres of roads in the next 8-10-months, which means there will be 120 projects up for bidding. This is likely to bring in an investment of USD 20-billion," Nath told reporters here.
"Over the next 4-years, we are looking at an investment of USD 80-billion in construction of roads and highways. Of this, USD 42-billion is expected from the private sector," he said.
The Minister said these funds would flow into India in the form of debt, equity, pension funds and insurance funds.
He said the Centre is also considering a proposal to relax External Commercial Borrowing norms (ECBs).
The Centre was revising its toll policy and was looking to levy a toll only on commercial vehicles plying between two cities.
"We are revising the toll policy wherein there will not be any toll levied for local traffic. But the toll will be levied on commercial vehicles going to and from city to city," he said.
Nath said the Centre will also release a book of specification in the next ten days, which would lay down liberal guidelines in terms of technology for players interested in building India`s road network.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened