Chambers, Lemaitre set for European 100m showdown
Barcelona: Britain`s Dwain Chambers and Frenchman Christophe Lemaitre are set for a much-anticipated showdown in the 100 metres at the European championships in Barcelona on Wednesday.
Assuming both athletes, the only two in the field to have broken 10 seconds this season, make it through their semi-finals, they will go head-to-head in the Olympic Stadium at 1945 GMT.
Chambers, who was stripped of the 2002 European title after admitting to doping, won his heat in 10.21 seconds on Tuesday before Lemaitre recorded the quickest time of the night of 10.19 in the last of the five heats.
The fastest European this year after setting a national record of 9.98 at the French championships this month, Lemaitre said he had felt a twinge in an adductor muscle during the warm up but it had not impeded him.
"I am satisfied with what I did," the 20-year-old told reporters. "I did not relax at the end because it`s in my nature to win my races."
Other medals up for grabs on Wednesday include the women`s long jump, 10,000 metres and discus and the men`s hammer. The day`s action opens at 0605 GMT with the women`s 20-km walk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days