Chambers, Lemaitre set for European 100m showdown
Barcelona: Britain`s Dwain Chambers and Frenchman Christophe Lemaitre are set for a much-anticipated showdown in the 100 metres at the European championships in Barcelona on Wednesday.
Assuming both athletes, the only two in the field to have broken 10 seconds this season, make it through their semi-finals, they will go head-to-head in the Olympic Stadium at 1945 GMT.
Chambers, who was stripped of the 2002 European title after admitting to doping, won his heat in 10.21 seconds on Tuesday before Lemaitre recorded the quickest time of the night of 10.19 in the last of the five heats.
The fastest European this year after setting a national record of 9.98 at the French championships this month, Lemaitre said he had felt a twinge in an adductor muscle during the warm up but it had not impeded him.
"I am satisfied with what I did," the 20-year-old told reporters. "I did not relax at the end because it`s in my nature to win my races."
Other medals up for grabs on Wednesday include the women`s long jump, 10,000 metres and discus and the men`s hammer. The day`s action opens at 0605 GMT with the women`s 20-km walk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test