Chambers, Lemaitre set for European 100m showdown
Barcelona: Britain`s Dwain Chambers and Frenchman Christophe Lemaitre are set for a much-anticipated showdown in the 100 metres at the European championships in Barcelona on Wednesday.
Assuming both athletes, the only two in the field to have broken 10 seconds this season, make it through their semi-finals, they will go head-to-head in the Olympic Stadium at 1945 GMT.
Chambers, who was stripped of the 2002 European title after admitting to doping, won his heat in 10.21 seconds on Tuesday before Lemaitre recorded the quickest time of the night of 10.19 in the last of the five heats.
The fastest European this year after setting a national record of 9.98 at the French championships this month, Lemaitre said he had felt a twinge in an adductor muscle during the warm up but it had not impeded him.
"I am satisfied with what I did," the 20-year-old told reporters. "I did not relax at the end because it`s in my nature to win my races."
Other medals up for grabs on Wednesday include the women`s long jump, 10,000 metres and discus and the men`s hammer. The day`s action opens at 0605 GMT with the women`s 20-km walk.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory