Cheer at last; Bajranglal qualifies for rowing Quarterfinals
Beijing, Aug 09: Bajranglal Takhar gave the crestfallen Indian camp some reason to smile as he qualified for the quarterfinals of the men`s singles Sculls event of the Beijing Olympics rowing competition in Beijing on Saturday.
Competing in Heat four, Takhar finished overall third, ahead of Monaco`s Mathias Raymond. The first four out of a total of five competitors qualified for the quarterfinals.
Czech Republic`s Ondrej Synek finished first and was followed by Lithuania`s Mindaugas Griskonis.
India`s best bet in this discipline, Bajrang Lal Thakur (26), is no stranger to the big stage. He won the first-ever medal for the country at the Asian Games in 2006 when he clinched the silver in single sculls.
He then went on to bag gold at the Asian Championships in Korea last year. He won the quota place by winning gold at the Asian qualifying championships in Shanghai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Indian Premier League: List of players bought by franchises at Saturday's auction
- Indian cricketers are getting married in Twenty20 mode