Cheer at last; Bajranglal qualifies for rowing Quarterfinals
Beijing, Aug 09: Bajranglal Takhar gave the crestfallen Indian camp some reason to smile as he qualified for the quarterfinals of the men`s singles Sculls event of the Beijing Olympics rowing competition in Beijing on Saturday.
Competing in Heat four, Takhar finished overall third, ahead of Monaco`s Mathias Raymond. The first four out of a total of five competitors qualified for the quarterfinals.
Czech Republic`s Ondrej Synek finished first and was followed by Lithuania`s Mindaugas Griskonis.
India`s best bet in this discipline, Bajrang Lal Thakur (26), is no stranger to the big stage. He won the first-ever medal for the country at the Asian Games in 2006 when he clinched the silver in single sculls.
He then went on to bag gold at the Asian Championships in Korea last year. He won the quota place by winning gold at the Asian qualifying championships in Shanghai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot