Cheer at last; Bajranglal qualifies for rowing Quarterfinals
Beijing, Aug 09: Bajranglal Takhar gave the crestfallen Indian camp some reason to smile as he qualified for the quarterfinals of the men`s singles Sculls event of the Beijing Olympics rowing competition in Beijing on Saturday.
Competing in Heat four, Takhar finished overall third, ahead of Monaco`s Mathias Raymond. The first four out of a total of five competitors qualified for the quarterfinals.
Czech Republic`s Ondrej Synek finished first and was followed by Lithuania`s Mindaugas Griskonis.
India`s best bet in this discipline, Bajrang Lal Thakur (26), is no stranger to the big stage. He won the first-ever medal for the country at the Asian Games in 2006 when he clinched the silver in single sculls.
He then went on to bag gold at the Asian Championships in Korea last year. He won the quota place by winning gold at the Asian qualifying championships in Shanghai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!
- Vodafone launches unlimited free voice calling offer for prepaid customers