Cheer at last; Bajranglal qualifies for rowing Quarterfinals
Beijing, Aug 09: Bajranglal Takhar gave the crestfallen Indian camp some reason to smile as he qualified for the quarterfinals of the men`s singles Sculls event of the Beijing Olympics rowing competition in Beijing on Saturday.
Competing in Heat four, Takhar finished overall third, ahead of Monaco`s Mathias Raymond. The first four out of a total of five competitors qualified for the quarterfinals.
Czech Republic`s Ondrej Synek finished first and was followed by Lithuania`s Mindaugas Griskonis.
India`s best bet in this discipline, Bajrang Lal Thakur (26), is no stranger to the big stage. He won the first-ever medal for the country at the Asian Games in 2006 when he clinched the silver in single sculls.
He then went on to bag gold at the Asian Championships in Korea last year. He won the quota place by winning gold at the Asian qualifying championships in Shanghai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?