`China for expansion of G-20 role`
Washington: Appreciative of the US role in
establishing G-20 which provided a "comfortable" platform to
countries like India and China, Beijing wanted gradual
expansion and institutionalisation of the grouping to include
areas like counter-terrorism, according to classified papers
released by WikiLeaks.
These views were expressed by Chinese Vice Foreign
Minister He Yafei during a meeting with US Deputy Secretary of
State Jim Steinberg on September 29, 2009.
"He thanked President Obama for his leadership in
institutionalising the G-20, which had created a `comfortable`
platform for countries like China and India to play a larger
role," showed one of the cables from Beijing as leaked by
"He explained that there had been some domestic
criticism of President Hu Jintao`s participation in the
G8-plus-5. He expressed hope that the United States would
coordinate closely with China as we established new rules for
the organisation, and that it would not become an organisation
that duplicated the United Nations or the G-8," the cable said.
The Chinese minister expressed reservations about how
fast the G-20 could expand to handle issues beyond economics
and finance, but noted that if the organisation was going to
stay relevant for leaders its scope would have to grow.
"He specifically mentioned the need for a coordinating
mechanism on global diseases and counter-terrorism," the cable
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'