Chinese scientists sequence sweet orange genome
Beijing: Chinese scientists claimed to have sequenced the genome of the sweet orange, which can help to understand the complex genetic make-up of the crop in order to improve its quality and yield.
After a year`s effort, a team of horticulture, genomics and bioinformatics experts from Central China Agricultural University in Wuhan successfully assembled and annotated the genome sequence of the plant, marking the first time that Chinese scientists have independently determined the genome sequence of a fruit crop.
Deng Xiuxin, an academician with the Chinese Academy of Engineering said the sequencing of the genome marks the establishment of an ideal research platform for biotechnology and genetic engineering in China, and it is also gravely important for improving breeding and upgrading the crop`s industrial competitiveness, state news agency Xinhua reported.
The sweet orange (Citrus sinensis), which originated in China, is the most commonly grown fruit tree in the world, and its production accounts for about 60 per cent of total citrus production.
The sweet orange, mostly poly-embryonic, is highly heterozygous, which means it has dissimilar pairs of genes for any hereditary characteristic, and is plagued by sterility.
Therefore, determining its genetic make-up can provide a sound scientific basis for genetic and breed development work, said Xu Qiang, an expert with the University.
China, the world`s largest grower of citrus, has produced 26.45 million tonnes of citrus across 2.21 million hectares in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31