Cilic crushes Tipsarevic, reach final
Chennai: Defending champion Marin Cilic made
short work of Serbian Janko Tipsarevic 6-1, 6-3 to storm into
the singles final of the ATP Chennai Open here today.
Asserting his supermacy against the Serb, the World
number 14 Croat closed the semifinal match in 84 minutes.
This was Tipsarevic`s fourth defeat in a row against
Cilic now awaits the winner of the other semifinal
between third seed Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka and Israeli Dudi
"I have beaten him here last year in the quarter-finals
and then in the Australian Open. I have always been saying
that he is one of the strong players but I played to my
strength and happy that I was able to win.
"The fans were rooting for him today. I am looking
forward to tomorrow`s final and then the Australian Open,"
Cilic said after the match.
The Croat hit some stuning winners, particularly with his
On the other hand, Tipsarevic, who beat local favourite
Somdev Devvarman, did not look even his pale shadow today.
His served lacked powerand committed too many unforced
Cilic broke the Serb thrice -- second, fourth and
seventh games -- to easily shot into lead but faced some
resistance in the second set.
After dropping his serve in the beginning of the seconf
set, Tipsarevic cut down on his errors and the next six games
saw an intense fight.
However, that early break had given Cilic the advantage
and the lanky Croat served out the match in the ninth game.
In the rain delayed matches last night, India`s Mahesh
Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna made an unexpected exit losing
the quarterfinal tie to C Fleming and K Skupski of England
6-4, 3-6, 2-10.
Wawrinka and Y Allegro made short work of Yen Hsun Lu and
Tipsarevic 6-2, 6-2.
Early in the singles quarter-final matches, Wawrinka
scored a 7-6 (5), 6-4 win over Michael Berrrer of Gremany and
Cilic defeated Santiago Giraldo 7-6, 6-1.
Tipsarevic had edged past Thmie De Bakker of the
Netherlands 7-5, 7-5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter