CM inaugurates Commonwealth Games exhibition on wheels
Panaji: Chief Minister Digambar Kamat
inaugurated an exhibition on sports and Information Technology
on board Commonwealth Games Express, a special train which
arrived at Vasco this morning on its 75th day of the journey.
Highlighting the sporting achievements of all time great
sportspersons in the country, the Commonwealth Games Express
arrived to a rousing reception at the Vasco Station.
The train, modified into an exhibition-on-wheels, also
lays emphasis on the sporting history of India, apart from
highlighting the significance of Commonwealth Games (CWG).
Speaking on the occasion, Kamat complimented Department
of Ministry of Communications, Information Technology and the
Indian Railways for planning such an exhibition.
The students will make best use of this opportunity to
learn about the IT and the Commonwealth games, he said.
While a section of the population is much aware of the
significance of information and Technology, the larger section
still does not have much clarity about it, Kamat said.
The more important fact is that they don`t know how IT as
a tool can change their lives, he added.
The Commonwealth Express is about bridging that knowledge
gap, he said in a press release.
Kamat also visited the exhibition. This train consists of
11 coaches out of which five coaches have been allocated to
Railway Sports Promotion Board and rest to Department of
The Divisional Railway Manager Shri Pravin Kumar Mishra
said that the Indian Railways has always been promoting
Now by endorsing ICT through the Commonwealth Express it
has taken the initiative of spreading the essence of IT to
citizens who are not yet exposed to opportunities that IT
Officiating Chief Secretary Shri Narendra Kumar in his
welcome speech expressed happiness on the arrival of the train
and said that it will benefit the locals as well as students
to learn more about the Commonwealth games and the Information
Vasco da Gama is the 36th stop-over on the special
The train which has a 101 day long journey schedule and
is planned to travel through 20 states, stopping at 49 major
stations was flagged off by the Union Railway Minister Mamata
Banerjee from the Safdarjung railway station in New Delhi on
June 24, 2010.
The train stayed for one day in Goa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM