Coalition govt in Puducherry to be decided soon: Rangasamy
Salem (TN): Former Puducherry Chief Minister N
Rangasamy, whose party swept the Assembly polls in the Union
Territroy, on Saturday said a decision on whether forming a
coalition government will be decided soon.
"At the earliest, I will assume office as Chief Minister of
Puducherry and the question of whether or not it will be a
coalition government will be decided later," Rangasamy, whose
party does not need the support of ally AIADMK, said.
He was speaking after offering poojas at the Sathguru Appa
temple here, along with newly elected 14 party legislators.
He said the spectacular victory of AINRC was made possible
due to the `good work` done in his earlier stint at the top
post. "people reposed faith in me and voted me to power."
Explaining the significance of visiting this temple, he said
an ascetic there had long ago prophesised that he would one
day be a force to reckon with, dismissing his fears.
"The swamy, who passed away in 2002, had said I will one
day be in a position to do service to others and people will
come to me for help. Though I was sceptical, I started
flourishing and joined Congress."
"Before starting my party two months back, I prayed to an
idol of the swamy at the temple and I won," Rangasamy said
In a spectacular electoral debut, AINRC with AIADMK had
yesterday secured a two-thirds majority in the 30 member
Puducherry Assembly, ending the DMK-supported Congress rule.
Rangasamy led the AINRC he formed on the eve of the polls
to power with the party winning 15 seats and AIADMK five.
He had floated his own outfit after quitting Congress about
two years after he was removed as Chief Minister in the face
of revolt against his leadership.
Rangasamy, named Chief Ministerial candidate of the
AINRC-AIADMK front, emerged victorious from both Kadirgamam
and Indira Nagar constituencies that he contested.
CPI, CPI(M) and DMDK, part of the AINRC led alliance,
however drew a blank contesting one seat each.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference