Cong starts giving mandates for 2nd phase, ruckus at party HQ
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Congress on Thursday started giving mandates to candidates for the second phase of state Assembly elections.
The party has opted for discreet handing of mandates instead of declaration of candidates` list, fearing outbreak of protests and rebellions.
The last day for filing of nominations for the second phase is tomorrow. Chinnan Gandhi told reporters here that he had been given the mandate for Vadodara City.
Mandate document certifies that the candidate official represents the party. But the exercise could not avoid noisy scenes at the party office here.
Supporters of Suraj Mangalkar, who had sought ticket from Asarva here, today ransacked the party office after learning that he had been denied the ticket.
Workers gheraoed Congress Legislature Party leader Shaktisinh Gohil`s car for more than fifteen minutes at Rajiv Gandhi Bhavan, the Congress office. They also sat in front of the office and chanted `Raghupati Ragav Raja Ram`.
Congress has given ticket to Rajan Priyadarshi, a retired IPS officer, from Asarwa, a seat reserved for Scheduled Caste candidate. BJP has fielded former IAS officer R M Patel.
Asarwa is traditionally a BJP stronghold. Parliamentary affairs minister Pradeepsinh Jadeja won from there in 2007 assembly polls when it was a general category seat.
However, post-delimitation, calculations have changed. The constituency has a sizable population of members of Scheduled Castes.
As to BJP not fielding a single Muslim, Gohil told reporters that Narendra Modi and his party said something and did something else. "His `sadbhavana` was political, only in words and not from heart," Gohil said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015