Cong starts giving mandates for 2nd phase, ruckus at party HQ
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Congress on Thursday started giving mandates to candidates for the second phase of state Assembly elections.
The party has opted for discreet handing of mandates instead of declaration of candidates` list, fearing outbreak of protests and rebellions.
The last day for filing of nominations for the second phase is tomorrow. Chinnan Gandhi told reporters here that he had been given the mandate for Vadodara City.
Mandate document certifies that the candidate official represents the party. But the exercise could not avoid noisy scenes at the party office here.
Supporters of Suraj Mangalkar, who had sought ticket from Asarva here, today ransacked the party office after learning that he had been denied the ticket.
Workers gheraoed Congress Legislature Party leader Shaktisinh Gohil`s car for more than fifteen minutes at Rajiv Gandhi Bhavan, the Congress office. They also sat in front of the office and chanted `Raghupati Ragav Raja Ram`.
Congress has given ticket to Rajan Priyadarshi, a retired IPS officer, from Asarwa, a seat reserved for Scheduled Caste candidate. BJP has fielded former IAS officer R M Patel.
Asarwa is traditionally a BJP stronghold. Parliamentary affairs minister Pradeepsinh Jadeja won from there in 2007 assembly polls when it was a general category seat.
However, post-delimitation, calculations have changed. The constituency has a sizable population of members of Scheduled Castes.
As to BJP not fielding a single Muslim, Gohil told reporters that Narendra Modi and his party said something and did something else. "His `sadbhavana` was political, only in words and not from heart," Gohil said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- DNA: Dr Subhash Chandra show on importance of 'Social media networking'
- Erdogan says EU `biased and prejudiced` towards Turkey after coup bid
- Jailed Venezuelan opposition leader appeals sentence
- Cambodia blocking ASEAN consensus on South China Sea: Diplomat
- Turkey can hold suspects without charge for up to 30 days
- Piramal Enterprises to raise Rs 300 cr via non-convertible debentures