Cong starts giving mandates for 2nd phase, ruckus at party HQ
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Congress on Thursday started giving mandates to candidates for the second phase of state Assembly elections.
The party has opted for discreet handing of mandates instead of declaration of candidates` list, fearing outbreak of protests and rebellions.
The last day for filing of nominations for the second phase is tomorrow. Chinnan Gandhi told reporters here that he had been given the mandate for Vadodara City.
Mandate document certifies that the candidate official represents the party. But the exercise could not avoid noisy scenes at the party office here.
Supporters of Suraj Mangalkar, who had sought ticket from Asarva here, today ransacked the party office after learning that he had been denied the ticket.
Workers gheraoed Congress Legislature Party leader Shaktisinh Gohil`s car for more than fifteen minutes at Rajiv Gandhi Bhavan, the Congress office. They also sat in front of the office and chanted `Raghupati Ragav Raja Ram`.
Congress has given ticket to Rajan Priyadarshi, a retired IPS officer, from Asarwa, a seat reserved for Scheduled Caste candidate. BJP has fielded former IAS officer R M Patel.
Asarwa is traditionally a BJP stronghold. Parliamentary affairs minister Pradeepsinh Jadeja won from there in 2007 assembly polls when it was a general category seat.
However, post-delimitation, calculations have changed. The constituency has a sizable population of members of Scheduled Castes.
As to BJP not fielding a single Muslim, Gohil told reporters that Narendra Modi and his party said something and did something else. "His `sadbhavana` was political, only in words and not from heart," Gohil said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof