Congress-NCP stalemate continues over govt formation
Mumbai: Stalemate over portfolios between the Congress and NCP continues to delay the process of government
formation in Maharashtra more than 10 days after the ruling
coalition stormed back to power in the Assembly Elections.
Congress sources said the party leadership is firm
that it should get the Home department from NCP while the
Sharad Pawar-led party is unwilling to part with the key
Apart from Home, the Congress wants Power, Finance or
Earlier, the Congress wanted the NCP to give all the
four key portfolios but later decided that it should get
at least two.
Congress is also eyeing the Assembly Speaker`s post.
The party has also ruled out sticking to the 1999 formula of
equal sharing of portfolios.
"The formula is not sacrosanct. The NCP itself
deviated from it in 2004 and now the situation has changed.
Congress will be the bigger partner and the party`s strength
of 82 seats should be reflected in the ministry formation as
well," a senior Congress leader said.
Last night`s scheduled meeting between Congress-NCP
state leadership did not take place.
MPCC chief Manikrao Thakre said NCP leaders had
conveyed to him that their internal discussions on the issue
had not been completed.
Sources said 22:20 formula for portfolio sharing is
being worked out.
The ruling combine has time till tomorrow for the new
government to be sworn-in.
The term of the outgoing Legislative Assembly expires
tomorrow and the opposition Shiv Sena-BJP has demanded
imposition of President`s Rule in the state if the new
government is not in place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...