Congress-NCP stalemate continues over govt formation
Mumbai: Stalemate over portfolios between the Congress and NCP continues to delay the process of government
formation in Maharashtra more than 10 days after the ruling
coalition stormed back to power in the Assembly Elections.
Congress sources said the party leadership is firm
that it should get the Home department from NCP while the
Sharad Pawar-led party is unwilling to part with the key
Apart from Home, the Congress wants Power, Finance or
Earlier, the Congress wanted the NCP to give all the
four key portfolios but later decided that it should get
at least two.
Congress is also eyeing the Assembly Speaker`s post.
The party has also ruled out sticking to the 1999 formula of
equal sharing of portfolios.
"The formula is not sacrosanct. The NCP itself
deviated from it in 2004 and now the situation has changed.
Congress will be the bigger partner and the party`s strength
of 82 seats should be reflected in the ministry formation as
well," a senior Congress leader said.
Last night`s scheduled meeting between Congress-NCP
state leadership did not take place.
MPCC chief Manikrao Thakre said NCP leaders had
conveyed to him that their internal discussions on the issue
had not been completed.
Sources said 22:20 formula for portfolio sharing is
being worked out.
The ruling combine has time till tomorrow for the new
government to be sworn-in.
The term of the outgoing Legislative Assembly expires
tomorrow and the opposition Shiv Sena-BJP has demanded
imposition of President`s Rule in the state if the new
government is not in place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win