Contador wins Tour of Catalunya
Barcelona: Troubled Spanish rider Alberto Contador claimed his biggest win of the 2011 season when he won the Tour of Catalunya on Sunday.
The Saxo Bank rider was already in the lead when he learned on Thursday that the International Cycling Union (UCI) would be challenging his acquittal for a positive test from last year`s Tour de France for the banned substance clenbuterol.
On Sunday, Contador completed the seven-day race in Barcelona`s city centre with a 23-second overall advantage over Italian Michele Scarponi, with Ireland`s Dan Martin third, 35 seconds back.
"This was one of the hardest week-long races I`ve ever done," Contador told reporters. "I`ve done others with more mountains in them that were far easier."
"For the last four days, even if it`s been fairly flat, there have been continual attacks and I`ve had to respond to some of them in person."
"This has been a very good way of sharpening my form for the Tour of Italy."
Contador, one of seven Tour de France winners to win the Catalunya event, said: "This race was one I really wanted...it`s very prestigious."
Asked if the win was his way of responding to the UCI appeal, Contador answered: "I haven`t raced here to make any response to anybody. I always race to win at 100 percent."
The final stage, from Parets del Valles to Barcelona, was won by France`s Samuel Dumoulin ahead of Colombian Rigoberto Uran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared