Country`s first online Braille library launched
Mumbai: Visually impaired students can now `flip` through the pages of multilingual study books with the launch of the country`s first online Braille library here.
Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment Mukul Wasnik yesterday launched the library at an event organised by the National Institute for Visually Handicapped (NIVH) in suburban Bandra to commemorate the birth anniversary of Louis
The library provides access to 12,000 books in 10 different languages in a user-friendly format. This will make education easier for persons with visual impairment, NIVH
director Anuradha Mohit said.
The online library is dedicated to students with visual impairment, pursuing higher education in numerous colleges and universities. By offering the accessible format, the library will cater to students in subjects ranging from Information Technology to Literature, Wasnik said, adding persons with visual impairment must benefit from this technological accessibility for information.
The Srimad Bhagwat Maha Puraan and Holy Quran in Braille produced at Dugganji Braille Press at the city-based National Association for the Blind were also released by the minister on the occasion.
An exhibition of the technology and utility devices for the visually challenged at the venue, showcased gadgets like "picture-in-flash" device to print tactile diagram, a
"talking" ATM, talking labeller, weighing scale, colour recogniser, talking blood pressure meter and talking physiotherapy
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead