CWG baton refused entry into Kerala assembly
Thiruvananthapuram: The Queen`s Baton Relay of the Commonwealth Games, which began its tour of Kerala, was declined entry ito the state assembly complex as local organisers had failed to inform the legislative officials of it`s itinerary in advance.
When the baton convoy reached the main gate of legislature complex, security officials deployed there ddeclined it entry, saying they did not have any advance intimation on the baton`s arrival.
According to sources, the QBR authorities and local organisers of the journey did not intimate Speaker K Radhakrishnan or his office about the itinerary.
"We would not have any reluctance in welcoming the relay and according it due honour. However, we should have been informed in advance about it, "Sources in the Speaker`s office said.
Meanwhile, after covering various spots in the city including the government secretariat, the relay was given a rousing reception at the Chandrasekharan Nair stadium here.
Chief Minister V S Achuthanandan received the baton from ace athlete K N Beenamol. The baton will move to Kochi tomorrow on its way to Lakshwadweep islands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO