Delhi to host 2012 South Asian Games
New Delhi: Delhi will host the next South Asian Games in 2012 to ensure that the infrastructure being developed for this year`s Commonwealth Games remains in use, the sports ministry said.
India was picked to host the regional sporting event in the 41st South Asian Olympic Council meeting earlier this month in Dhaka after Bhutan, whose turn it was to host the next SAG, expressed its inability to stage the meet.
"We have given in principle approval to the Indian Olympic Association to host the 12th South Asian Games in place of Bhutan," a Sports Ministry official told reporters.
"The Ministry made it clear that the host city should be Delhi as the South Asian Games will be the perfect opportunity to utilise the huge infrastructure that is being raised for the Commonwealth Games," he added.
The national capital will host the Commonwealth Games from October 3 to 14 this year.
India has hosted the South Asian Games twice thus far -? in 1987 (Kolkata) and in 1995 (Chennai).
IOA President Suresh Kalmadi was in Dhaka to receive the SAG flag after the latest edition drew to a close yesterday.
India, as expected, topped the standings with a staggering 175 medals, 90 of which were gold.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened