Delhi to host 2012 South Asian Games
New Delhi: Delhi will host the next South Asian Games in 2012 to ensure that the infrastructure being developed for this year`s Commonwealth Games remains in use, the sports ministry said.
India was picked to host the regional sporting event in the 41st South Asian Olympic Council meeting earlier this month in Dhaka after Bhutan, whose turn it was to host the next SAG, expressed its inability to stage the meet.
"We have given in principle approval to the Indian Olympic Association to host the 12th South Asian Games in place of Bhutan," a Sports Ministry official told reporters.
"The Ministry made it clear that the host city should be Delhi as the South Asian Games will be the perfect opportunity to utilise the huge infrastructure that is being raised for the Commonwealth Games," he added.
The national capital will host the Commonwealth Games from October 3 to 14 this year.
India has hosted the South Asian Games twice thus far -? in 1987 (Kolkata) and in 1995 (Chennai).
IOA President Suresh Kalmadi was in Dhaka to receive the SAG flag after the latest edition drew to a close yesterday.
India, as expected, topped the standings with a staggering 175 medals, 90 of which were gold.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?