Dementieva exits Cincinnati, Clijsters moves on
Cincinnati: Russia`s Elena Dementieva lost 6-1, 6-3 to compatriot Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova in the second round of the rain-hit Cincinnati Open on Wednesday, but Maria Sharapova and Kim Clijsters both advanced to the third round.
Fourth seed Clijsters comfortably defeated another former world number one, Dinara Safina of Russia, 7-5, 6-2 in a match that was delayed by almost two hours by heavy showers.
But it was the early exit of third seed Dementieva that was the major surprise of the second round.
"I was not feeling well and I think I was affected by the weather," she told reporters after her loss. "I think that was probably the worst match of mine for a long, long time."
"I was just not into the game. I couldn`t really focus, my concentration was not there and I was just not feeling well," she added, citing the humid conditions in the days before Wednesday`s rain.
Pavlyuchenkova will meet 13th seed Shahar Peer of Israel, who defeated Spanish qualifier Nuria Llagostera Vives 6-3, 6-2.
"I had nothing to lose against Elena and I just wanted to enjoy things and put on a good performance," said the 19-year-old, who won her second WTA event in Istanbul last week.
Three-times Grand Slam winner Sharapova looked in impressive form as she crushed Germany`s Andrea Petkovic 6-3, 6-1.
Wimbledon runner-up and 2006 Cincinnati champion Vera Zvonareva survived multiple rain delays and a 5-2 deficit but fought back to win the third set and defeat fellow Russian Maria Kirilenko 7-5, 2-6, 7-6(2).
Zvonareva will face Flavia Pennetta, who defeated Romanian qualifier Monica Niculescu 6-0, 6-1 earlier in the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'